Rabu, 05 Februari 2014

How to Make Whole Wheat Pasta From Scratch Cheap and Easy Recipe

,
I decided to write a pasta tutorial. I love pasta. Ive just switched out my failing baked bean experiments with a beloved pasta dish in my two week menu rotation. That means that we have pasta roughly six times per month. I make whole wheat pasta for $0.24. I found whole wheat pasta at the store for $1.50; it may be less with coupons and sales. So I save $7.56 per month making my own pasta, and $90.72 in a year. Thats a lot of dough for pasta.



My pasta tastes better than store bought whole wheat pasta because I use whole white wheat, and store bought is usually whole red wheat.



And it is so simple.



I start with a three to one ratio of flour and water.



1 1/2 cups flour -$0.24

1/2 cup water - $0



In the past, I suggested that you add a tablespoon of water to that 1/2 cup of water, but that may have been bad advice. After I mix the 3:1 ratio, my dough is flaky, and not all of the flour can be mixed in. I need more water, and end up adding a tablespoon. (Click on pictures to see the colored versions.)

I would recommend mixing the flour and water, and seeing where you are, then adding a teaspoon of water at a time until you get to the right consistency, which is a hard ball of dough, not flaky, and not sticky.



Now I like a thicker textured pasta, rigatoni or medium shells. The consistency of angel hair makes me want to throw up. You may feel the opposite. However thick you like your pasta determines how much you have to roll it. I divide my dough in half and roll it. If you want it thinner, divide your dough into three or four parts and roll it thinner.



So, to roll, start by flouring your rolling surface.



Then roll out the dough with a rolling pin.



I cut it into strips. If you want spaghetti or linguine, you can leave it as strips. A pizza cutter is the best tool for this.



I then cut the strips short into noodles. I dont aim for perfection.



Here is the whole batch in the pot.



Cover with water, put lid on pot and boil. It took fifteen minutes from the time I put the noodles and water on the stove until the pasta was done.



Check to see if its done by tasting it. If it is still chewy in the middle, it needs more time. When it is done, it will have the same consistency as store bought pasta.

Then, you will have pasta to do with what you please.

0 komentar to “How to Make Whole Wheat Pasta From Scratch Cheap and Easy Recipe”

Posting Komentar

 

Our Information Copyright © 2016-2022 -- Powered by Blogger